Accelerate your Odoo Development with Eclipse
This video covers some of the features of using Eclipse to debug your Odoo applications. If you are a serious Odoo developer and you are not using any sort of break points or other debugging techniques... you do not want to miss this video.
Video Length: 22 minutes Subscription onlySubscription Options
Use the Eclipse IDE to debug Odoo in Real Time!
Set breakpoints to step through Odoo code
In this example we have set a break point when a sales order is created in Odoo. Now we can examine every variable and step through every line of code as it executes! Not only will you develop faster, integrating Eclipse into Odoo will help you better understand the Odoo framework.
Connect directly to GitHub and edit your code with color syntax
Set breakpoints, step through your code, examine memory variables
Dramatically increase your productivity developing in Odoo
Using Eclipse with Odoo to dramatically increase development productivity
You can use any text editor to create an Odoo Python module. Why use an IDE like Eclipse?
One great advantage of Python is that you can in fact use a simple text editor to create an application. In fact throughout Odoo/OpenERP volume 1 & 2 we use very simple editors to create our modules in Odoo. However once you begin serious application development, the ability to have good text editing tools, syntax highlighting, Github integration and most importantly... real time debugging and the ability to step through code and set break points is very important. Imagine never again having to write a print statement to the console to determine the value of a variable!
What are the primary features and advantages to setting up real time Odoo debugging?
The configuration shown in the video accomplishes several major objectives.
- Provide a clean and easy mechanism to pull the latest source code off Github.
- Edit your code in a robust editor with syntax coloring, tool tips and a very flexible interface you can configure almost any way you wish.
- Easily start and stop the Odoo server.
- Get better visibility into the exact operations of the server. See the details on the threads that are running including cron jobs, http requests, mail tasks and more.
- Use a powerful outline tool to quickly find the methods and classes you need to work on. No more scrolling through screens to find your code.
- Set break points and step through your Odoo code as it is running line by line.
- Examine objects and variables while the code is running to see the values. Catch 'one off' errors.
- Increase the speed you learn the Odoo framework. See inside the applications while they are running so you know exactly how everything fits together.
- Solve the most difficult problems. Some problems are tough to track down. The ability to analyze your code in real time as it is running is vital to tracking down and fixing the toughest problems. It also makes finding the easy problems far easier!
If this is so great, why are you waiting until now to show us this stuff?
This was the question I have been asking myself since I finally got everything configured and working as you see in the video. The problem however is that configuring Eclipse with the necessary libraries and additional components that are required to get everything running would be very distracting and discouraging to someone who was just wanting to learn how to write a simple Odoo module. Still, as a serious Odoo developer myself I only wish I had taken the time to configure a robust debugging environment long ago.
What are the basic requirements to configure this more robust Odoo development environment?
In the video, the configuration was setup for Windows. Eclipse is a first requirement along with PyDev. Another very important component is the integration with Github. In future videos we will go into more details on exactly how this environment was configured. This video is to provide a high level overview of the functionality and how the Eclipse debugger integrates with Odoo.